What Is OpenLiteSpeed?
From OpenLiteSpeed Wiki
What Is OpenLiteSpeed?
OpenLiteSpeed is a high-performance, lightweight, open source HTTP server developed and copyrighted by LiteSpeed Technologies, Inc. Users are free to download, use, distribute, and modify OpenLiteSpeed and its source code in accordance with the precepts of the GPL version 3 license.
- Event-driven architecture with extremely low resource (CPU and RAM) overhead.
- Handles hundreds of thousands of concurrent connections without load spikes.
- WebAdmin GUI with real-time statistics.
- Rewrite engine uses Apache mod_rewrite syntax.
- Worker processes for scalability. Ability to bind certain processes to particular workers.
- High-performance coding using kqueue (FreeBSD and OS X), epoll (Linux), /dev/poll (Solaris), and poll.
- High-performance page caching.
- Support of third-party modules through API (LSIAPI).
We've begun to release a series of benchmarks comparing both editions of LiteSpeed with Apache 2.2, Apache 2.4, and nginx. We think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
- CentOS 5, 6 and 7
- Ubuntu 8.04 and up
- Debian 4 and up
- Solaris(x86): Sun0S 5.8 and up
- OS X 10.3 and up
- FreeBSD 4.5 and up
How Do I Get Involved?
- If you're interested in getting involved, we encourage you to join the OpenLiteSpeed Development Group on Google Groups.
- If you've got knowledge you want to share, you can help by editing this wiki. Contact us to ask for a wiki account.
- Please let us know about any bugs you find by reporting them on GitHub.
- Follow us on Twitter at @litespeedtech and @openlswsrelease. (The latter account only tweets new release notifications.)
- Join one of the unofficial OpenLiteSpeed communities.
- Follow LiteSpeed updates through the LiteSpeed Technologies blog.
OpenLiteSpeed is available under two different licenses. Users willing to abide by the GPLv3 are welcome to download, use, distribute, and modify OpenLiteSpeed and its source code. Companies or individuals who wish to use OpenLiteSpeed in a proprietary product can contact LiteSpeed Technologies about obtaining an OEM license.
LiteSpeed Enterprise Edition provides some features above and beyond OpenLiteSpeed: hosting control panel compatibility, .htaccess file compatibility, mod_security compatibility, and ESI support. Users can find more about Enterprise Edition on the LiteSpeed Technologies homepage.